Saturday, June 10, 2006

Athens - Greece

Hello People who read my blog... Yes I have finally decided to come back to Dubai from my days off in KL. I really wish that I could keep my job and still be around my family and friends in KL & KK. Malas oh me. I recently had a wonderful opprotunity to fly to Athens and can I just say that I had a blast! I got a sunburn but it was one of the best days I've had recently... The weather was beautiful - it was around 24 degrees and it was very windy. The place that I visited, Acropolis was on a mountain and there was one point when I thought I was going to be blown off coz the wind was so strong! Anyways, please enjoy my pictures and Sorreee for not being ere to update my blog..

I paid 12 Euros to enter the site. It took us like 3 hours in total to cover the entire shrine. I was with another fellow Malaysian and it since it was her first time in Athens, we decided to discover the city by foot. In fact that's a really good way to explore any destination...
The term acropolis means upper city and many of the city states of ancient Greece are built around an acropolis where the inhabitants can go as a place of refuge in times of invasion. It's for this reason that the most sacred buildings are usually on the acropolis. It's the safest most secure place in town. As little as 150 years ago there were still dwellings on the Acropolis of Athens. Those of you who have read Aristophanes will recall that in Lysistrata the women have Athens barricaded themselves in the fortress in protest, being tired of their men going to war against Sparta. Depriving them of sex, cooking and care it was a terrific strategy that might even work today. Behind me is the magestic structure that has been on the mountains for over 2000 years. If you can see clearly, there are steels holding some of the building up because they are doing some restoration. Because of oxidation the structure is slowly falling apart and I really think that its goodthat they still want to maintain most of it.It can get very hot up there and gasping for breath can take way from your ability to marvel at the greatest of all archaeological sites but I had fun!
The Temple of Olympian Zeus

My first picture in Athens: The Panathian Stadium. Panathinaiko's place is unique. Situated in the city centre, Panathinaiko -- also known as Panathian Stadium or "Kallimarmo" -- was created out of the ruins of an ancient stadium built in 329 BC: a simple, pure, oval stade of marble slab benches and steep marble steps.
Roughly 50 rows from top to bottom...can sit 312 000 people.. I was so exited to be there...



So as you can see..I really did enjoy myself in Athens.
Oh and i forgot to mention: Greek people love feta cheese, olive oil and they eat their sandwiches with french fries or potato wedges and there is not a single Mc Donalds in sight. (Only at the airport) They have a local fast food eatery thats called Goody's very nice serving the local favourites..
I have more pictures to share but I wanna have some food! Am so hungry la.

6 Comments:

Blogger Fridaycat said...

waaaah Greece! One of my must-visits in this lifetime. I jeles. Lucky you. More photos please!

6/12/2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

ya bah..I was supposed to go to bangkok but this Thai crew wanted to go home..so I swapped my flight with him for Athens... It was a wonderful feeling being there... you must visit greece! Theres no feeling like looking at the city from the Acroplis..

6/12/2006 3:05 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Great pictures in Athens. It must have been fun touring these places.

6/13/2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hi Tim..it was a wonderful experience! I'd go back there soon!

6/13/2006 5:42 AM  
Blogger ElKay said...

bila lah sia mau pigi travelling ni, mau pigi Tuaran pun susa heheh... Hi Lynn, you don't know me but I'm friends with Collyn

6/13/2006 7:21 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

oh really..hehe. i've been to so many places but i haven't even been to tawau or sandakan or lahad datu..bikin malu only kan. haven't even climbed mount kinabalu oh...yerr shy only

6/15/2006 1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Everything Lyrics